Image Map

Saturday, February 26, 2011

$5 Wall Art!


I've been trying to decide what I want to put on the wall above my student desk.  Last week I was watching HGTV and could not stop looking at a painting in the room.  It was just like the top painting, except more orange.  I wanted it.. yesterday.

So I looked at my options from Lowes and found a board that was 24"x48".  It was only $5, so I had them cut it in half and took it home!

First I sanded the edges with my Dremel to smooth them down.

I used my free Valspar paint samples to paint the board.


It was gorgeous outside so I worked on the back porch!


First I painted all the edges, then worked my way in.


I put on two coats of blue, and three coats of yellow.  While that was drying I cut out my stencils.

I found images I liked on Google, then printed them on cardstock.  I used my exacto knife to cut them out.

***Do not cut on your carpet!! It WILL cut through it!  (Not that I've done this...)***

Here they are ready to be used.  I chose a bird and a frog!


For the white I used the leftover paint from my desk bookcase and my  student desk.  I used my foam brush and kind of smushed the white paint on.  Some of it leaked under, but I wasn't going for perfection.



After I impatiently calmly waited for the paint to dry, I ran over the entire piece with my Dremel again.  I made sure to really thin out the white because I didn't want it too brilliant.  I wanted more of an old, worn kind of white.  I probably could have even thinned it out more.



I was going to nail hanging brackets on the back, but the nail was too long.  Because the board is so light weight, I just hot glued the brackets.  Hopefully they won't fall and slam into my face one day.

And here they are in my office!


The entire process took about four hours, but that includes just sitting on the couch waiting for the paint to dry.


So total cost, $2.50 per picture!  I love it!

Cheers!

Linking Here!

32 comments:

  1. that turned out so cute- that is the mist cheerful little nook ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute & simple! I love the stencil images you chose. Thanks so much for sharing the How-To!!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! Love the color...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute! Gotta love that free Valspar paint. I haven't used mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are super cute! What a great pop of color :)

    PS- I'm doing my first giveaway ever on my blog, I'd love if you would stop by and enter! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-giveaway-and-introducing-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have contemporary art pieces for so little cost - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turned out way cute! Love those colors :) One thing you could do to tone down that white is just mix a tiny bit of black into the paint to give it a more antiqued look- or you antiquing glaze to wipe over it once it's dry. But I think it looks great as is- very contemporary! Thanks for your comment on my table! I'm glad I found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea. And so simple too. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party.
    More The Merrier Monday.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute. I am looking for ideas for my sons room and this would be cute in a sports theme.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these.

    Love the advice about cutting on carpet. Don't trace something with a Sharpie on your white sofa either thinking that you will be really really careful...

    not that I've done that and marked my sofa...

    ahem.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I saw you at the Paisley Passions blog hop & am now following your blog. :-)

    http://educatorssoliloquy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is SOOO cute!! I love it...and it's so bright and cheerful!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are really cute! :)
    What a unique idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh, Simple & Elegant, Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! I featured you over at my blog today, feel free to check it out!
    Jen

    http://jen-simplyliving.blogspot.com/2011/03/stuff-i-like-sunday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Found you from Simply Living and new follower. Going to check out more of your crafty ideas! Have a great week!

    http://playfuldecor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the paintings! I wish I had more walls in the house so that every craft I see I could make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! This is a great post. I like this topic. This site has lots of advantage. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways please keep it up the effective work.

    Interior painters Virginia Beach

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice article.
    I really enjoyed reading to article. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. I want to suggest you Crypto wall art. So, Visit my this Site

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a great article about wall decor for more like this check 99FAB's Wall Decor Ideas .

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading to article. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it. I want to suggest you : Islamic learn noorani qaida online

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi I’m watching your blogs. Your blogs are very impressive & thanks for sharing this. I am very impressed from your blogs. Anybody looking forOnline Quran Classes For Kids

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! I always learn something new when I read your posts.
    make your own neon sign
    create neon
    custom led logo sign
    turn picture into neon sign

    ReplyDelete
  24. "I want to commend this blog for its ability to spark curiosity and ignite a love for learning. The author's passion for their subjects is contagious, and they have a remarkable talent for presenting information in an engaging and captivating manner."
    mecca bingo vouchers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looking for Wall artists? Revolution 360 provides commercial wall murals in Sydney and Melbourne. We have a team of mural artists who work in many aspects of the Melbourne creative scene.
    https://www.revolution360.com.au/wall-murals

    ReplyDelete
  26. This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic.

    Pressure Washing

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love your $5 Wall Art ideas! They prove that decorating doesn't have to break the bank. It's like discovering a "nothing bundt cakes coupon $5 off" for sweet savings while enhancing our living spaces. Thanks for sharing these creative and affordable tips!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!